This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6241 / 52°37'26"N
Longitude: -3.7447 / 3°44'41"W
OS Eastings: 281993
OS Northings: 304353
OS Grid: SH819043
Mapcode National: GBR 96.7QNS
Mapcode Global: WH68G.G90N
Entry Name: Dovey Hotel
Listing Date: 5 August 2004
Last Amended: 5 August 2004
Source ID: 83011
Location: Located centrally in Cemmaes Road and almost opposite the former station.
Locality: Cemmaes Road
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
A railway hotel of c1865-70 located nearly opposite the now disused station. The Newtown to Machnynlleth Railway reached Cemmaes Road in 1863, and was subsequently incorporated into the Cambrian Railway. Cambrian Railways then built a branch line from Dinas Mawddwy to Cemmaes Road which opened in 1867.
Symmetrical 3-window 2-storey hotel with attic and basement. Roughcast to front with raised quoins and slate-hung to S gable end; slate roof; 2 ridge stacks, yellow brick to R and blue brick to L. Central entrance with half-glazed wooden porch with flat roof and decorative cornice. Cusped archway with openwork spandrels, the flanking and side lights with marginal stained glass. Inside the porch is a panelled door with plain overlight. Flanking and upper storey windows are 12-pane hornless sashes in raised surrounds. Attached to the R of the porch is a post supporting a sign reading 'Dovey Valley Hotel / free house'. The slate hung S gable end has a round-arched C20 window to the attic, and 12-pane sash windows offset to the R of the 1st and ground floors. To the R of the latter is a porch with hipped roof which provides access into the bar. Cellar lights at ground level. The N gable end has a round-arched sash to the attic, and pairs of 12-pane sashes to the 1st and ground floors offset to the L-hand side. Lower wing to L. Rear not seen.
No access to interior at time of inspection.
Listed as a little-altered railway hotel of the mid-late C19 with well preserved detail.
Other nearby listed buildings