This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6314 / 52°37'53"N
Longitude: -3.8354 / 3°50'7"W
OS Eastings: 275874
OS Northings: 305324
OS Grid: SH758053
Mapcode National: GBR 93.769C
Mapcode Global: WH68F.14W0
Entry Name: Former slate enamelling workshop, Rhiw'r Gwreiddyn
Listing Date: 5 August 2004
Last Amended: 5 August 2004
Source ID: 83020
Location: Located off the E side of the lane running N into Esgairgeiliog and approx. 0.7km from the village. Facing W into the yard.
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
The first quarry at Rhiw'r Greiddyn opened c1818, but the site was developed more vigorously in the later C19. In 1880, its proprietor of the town became involved in the Dulas Enamelling Works and Quarry Co at Esgairgeiliog mill, and during the 1890's, the quarry was further developed as part of the Towyn Co Ltd, which had originated as a slate enamelling business, and it is from this period that this building dates. The Corris slate district specialised in slab production, and enamelling was a profitable specialism for quarries in this area.
Long single-storey range of coursed slate blocks under a corrugated iron roof, with stone stack to N end. Central entrance containing a boarded door with overlight flanked by window openings. Large-pane wooden window to R; that to L has been enlarged and contains a 3-light wooden casement. Towards the R end is an entrance with double metal doors; a single doorway to the far L has been infilled with stone. One small skylight to roof pitch and 2 steel flues. The N gable end has a C20 panelled door to the L, leading into the kilns, and a firebox R of centre, now partially below ground level. The rear (E) wall is built into the bank. Up against the bank are 2 added enamelling kilns in a flat-roofed projection of coursed slate blocks; the roof is in a poor state and covered in grass. There are 2 flues leading to fire-boxes on the W side, of yellow firebrick with arched heads. The rear wall of the main range has a boarded door immediately R of the kiln projection. A stub wall on its R side, and another at the NE angle of the building appear to demarcate an earlier lean-to; within it is an area of yellow and red brick with a flue to a firebox at the base, which has a cast iron door. To its R is a 2-light wooden casement replacing a door. To the far L end of this elevation is a single doorway covered by corrugated iron sheeting, and evidence for a former lean-to structure. Four-pane window, replacing door, offset to L of S gable end.
Four-bay open interior with substantial sawn King-post trusses with diagonal struts; the tie beams are supported in the walls beneath wall-plate level. At the N end, 2 doorways lead through to the slate enamelling kilns (said to contain fire-boxes and hooks). That to the R has double slate doors, that to the L is infilled with breeze blocks. To the centre of this wall, at a higher level is a small opening infilled with brick. Two further doorways with slate double doors, towards the L of the E wall, lead to the external enamelling kilns.
Listed as a rare and relatively complete survival of this industrial building type.
Other nearby listed buildings