This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6179 / 52°37'4"N
Longitude: -3.7675 / 3°46'3"W
OS Eastings: 280433
OS Northings: 303701
OS Grid: SH804037
Mapcode National: GBR 95.851Z
Mapcode Global: WH68G.3G6F
Entry Name: Pen y bont
Listing Date: 5 August 2004
Last Amended: 5 August 2004
Source ID: 83035
Location: Located close to the River Dyfi, c1.7km SW of Cemmaes Road and at the bottom of a short track off the NW side of the road.
Locality: Cemmaes Road
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Probably C17, originally timber-framed and with a lobby-entrance arrangement. Mainly rebuilt in stone later. Shown on the tithe map of 1840.
Long range of one-and-a-half storeys, perhaps originally with a 3-unit plan-form, and with a further bay added to the L end later. It is constructed mainly of white-washed rubble stone under a slate roof with red brick ridge stack, but with a small area of timber-framing preserved to the rear. Irregularly-placed openings with long timber lintels. Lobby entrance to L of centre with boarded door; wooden 2-light casement to its L and 4-pane sash to its R. To the far R are split doors and a 9-pane wooden window under a continuous lintel. The upper storey has small 2-light casements to R and far R, the latter with quarries. Skylight to centre of roof pitch. S gable end not seen. Rear elevation is built into the bank and has a row of box-panelling on a raised sill to L of centre. Raked dormer with small-pane window to R of centre.
The added L bay is slightly advanced to front and has corrugated iron double doors to far L under a substantial lintel, above which is a plain glazed window. The N gable contains a C20 metal casement, with narrow C20 light below, offset to L.
No access to interior at time of inspection.
Listed as a sub-medieval vernacular farmhouse retaining its character, and for the rare survival of timber-framing in this area.
Other nearby listed buildings