This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6107 / 52°36'38"N
Longitude: -3.8039 / 3°48'14"W
OS Eastings: 277951
OS Northings: 302962
OS Grid: SH779029
Mapcode National: GBR 94.8N2C
Mapcode Global: WH68F.JMVY
Entry Name: Stable and cow-house at Aberffrydlan
Listing Date: 5 August 2004
Last Amended: 5 August 2004
Source ID: 83043
Location: Located in the centre of the farmyard and facing the house.
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Stable block probably C18 with C19 alterations. Cow-house range to L appears to be C19 and converted to a shed or milking parlour in the early-mid C20. Shown on the tithe map of 1840.
Small symmetrical stable block of random stone under a slate roof. Central entrance with segmental head of tall narrow stone voussoirs, containing a timber door frame. This is flanked by small window openings with flat stone lintels, that to L retaining a 2-light casement, that to R open. Above the doorway is an added gabled dormer, of red brick and containing an oculus. The lower cow-house range to the L is slightly set back and is also of rubble stone under a slate roof. It originally had 6 doors with a ventilation slit between each one. The 3rd from L and R end doorways still retain planked doors, but the others have been replaced by 6-pane wooden windows and stone infill; all the lintels have been replaced. To the centre is a gabled red brick dormer containing a planked door. Towards the R and in front of the range are 4 small blockwork kennels. Rear not seen.
No access to interior at time of inspection.
Listed as a pair of farm buildings retaining their character, and for group value with Aberffrydlan Farmhouse.
Other nearby listed buildings