This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.098 / 52°5'52"N
Longitude: -3.601 / 3°36'3"W
OS Eastings: 290425
OS Northings: 245614
OS Grid: SN904456
Mapcode National: GBR YD.9WZV
Mapcode Global: VH5DM.JJMJ
Entry Name: Gosen Chapel including forecourt railings and gates, and attached Ty Capel
Listing Date: 10 August 2004
Last Amended: 29 April 2005
Source ID: 83050
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Between Rivers Irfon and Dulas. On S side of road about 250m east of road junction.
Town: Llangammarch Wells
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
A plaque on the front of the chapel refers to buildings of 1778 and 1790, but the last date is not legible. Gravestones date from circa 1824 onwards.
The present chapel and chapel house date from the mid C19, and the chapel was remodelled in 1927. The forecourt railings probably date from 1927 also.
Chapel, scribed cement render over stone (L gable end exposed stone); slate roof with central ventilator. Front of chapel has, towards centre, pair of tall, round-headed small-pane windows. Date plaque between windows, and raised inscription "Adnewyddwyd 1927". To each side of central windows, smaller round-headed sash window at higher level. Below each of these, a round-headed doorway with overlight and panelled door.
The rear of the chapel has, on the upper floor, 3 round-headed windows with small-pane sash glazing; on ground floor, 3 similar square-headed windows.
The attached chapel house is of 2 storeys with a 3-window front. Painted stone, slate roof with central chimney. Twelve-pane horned sash windows to upper floor; central panelled door with 12-pane sash window to each side.
The forecourt railings are of iron on a low stone wall, with gates to chapel, house, and at R end broader gates to entry to graveyard.
Not available for inspection.
Included for special architectural interest as a good group of mid C19 chapel and contemporary house.
Other nearby listed buildings