This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4095 / 52°24'34"N
Longitude: -3.1872 / 3°11'13"W
OS Eastings: 319342
OS Northings: 279714
OS Grid: SO193797
Mapcode National: GBR 9Y.P9Z9
Mapcode Global: VH68R.PPYR
Entry Name: Church House Farm, including attached cow house
Listing Date: 24 August 2004
Last Amended: 24 August 2004
Source ID: 83078
Location: Immediately W of the parish church.
Community: Beguildy (Bugeildy)
Traditional County: Radnorshire
A medieval house with 2-bay hall. The house was substantially rebuilt in the mid C19, when an attached cow house was built at right angles to enclose a yard facing the barn, probably of the same date. The building is shown in its present form on the 1889 Ordnance Survey.
A 2-storey house of rubble stone, slate roof, brick stack R of centre and roughcast stack to the L. Openings are under wooden lintels and casement windows have blue-brick sills. The main entrance is R of centre and has a boarded door with overlight. To its R are two 3-light casement windows in each storey. To its L is a 4-light window, then a boarded door to the back kitchen, a 3-light window and a 2-light window part boarded up. Three 3-light upper-storey windows are above the main openings. A further bay at the R end of the house is weatherboarded and has a boarded door and shuttered opening. The roughcast L gable end has an inserted upper-storey window and added ty bach. In the rear elevation is an outshut on the R side, and 3 upper-storey windows under the eaves. Lower L is a corrugated iron lean-to (described by RCAHM Wales as an engine house).
The cow house, set at right angles to the house against the E gable end, is lower than the main house, of rubble stone with weatherboarded loft, and slate roof, part replaced in corrugated metal sheets. Facing the yard it has a single boarded door and 2 shuttered loft openings. In the S gable end is a doorway to the R, rebuilt in brick above the lintel, and shuttered opening to the L and in the loft. The rear has 3 square-headed manure pitching holes.
Not inspected but survey by RCAHM Wales recorded the joist-beam ceiling of a former parlour at the L end (later the back kitchen), and a cruck truss with sharply elbowed plates.
Listed for its special architectural interest as a C19 farmhouse and cow house, with medieval origins, contributing to a farm group with strong vernacular character in an important location next to the church.
Other nearby listed buildings