This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3982 / 52°23'53"N
Longitude: -3.4262 / 3°25'34"W
OS Eastings: 303060
OS Northings: 278760
OS Grid: SO030787
Mapcode National: GBR 9M.Q53D
Mapcode Global: VH68M.KZLD
Entry Name: Cwm Derw
Listing Date: 3 September 2004
Last Amended: 3 September 2004
Source ID: 83091
Location: An isolated house reached by farm road through forestry approximately 4.1km N of Bwlch-y-Sarnau.
Community: Abbey Cwmhir (Abaty Cwm-hir)
Community: Abbey Cwmhir
Traditional County: Radnorshire
An early-C19 farmhouse shown on the 1843 Tithe map. The adjoining stable is later.
A 2-storey 2-window house of rubble stone and slate roof, stone stack to the R (part fallen) and brick stack to the L. Openings in the lower storey have cambered stone heads. The doorway to the R has a boarded door. Windows are replacement wooden casements, 3-light to the R and 2-light to the L in the lower storey, and 2-light upper-storey windows beneath the eaves. The L gable end preserves the lintel of a former attic window. It also has a replaced window lower L under a cambered head, and inserted 4-pane sash window above it in a brick surround. Further L is the side wall of a rear outshut, with boarded door under a cambered head, and iron-framed attic window above it.
On the R side of the front is a vertical joint separating the house from the added stable. It has a small front window and smaller loft opening, above which is a stone ledge and pigeon holes. The gable end, partly collapsed, retains the jambs of a doorway on the L side and loft opening.
Listed, notwithstanding its deteriorating condition, as a small early C19 farmhouse with stable, a type once common in the region but now rarely surviving in original form.