This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3315 / 52°19'53"N
Longitude: -3.3893 / 3°23'21"W
OS Eastings: 305422
OS Northings: 271282
OS Grid: SO054712
Mapcode National: GBR 9P.V85Q
Mapcode Global: VH691.6NJK
Entry Name: Footbridge & attached walls and gateway on the SE side of Abbey Cwmhir churchyard
Listing Date: 3 September 2004
Last Amended: 3 September 2004
Source ID: 83092
Location: Between the chuchyard and the grounds of The Hall.
Community: Abbey Cwmhir (Abaty Cwm-hir)
Community: Abbey Cwmhir
Traditional County: Radnorshire
Built in 1866 when the church was built by J.W. Poundley and D. Walker, connecting the church with The Hall, built by the same architects in 1867.
A single-span footbridge of coursed rock-faced stone, with square terminal piers. A round arch has a prominent keystone. A raised band is beneath the coped parapet, which has a shield on the S side. On the churchyard side are iron gates. On the SE side of the bridge are 3 bays of iron railings on rock-faced dwarf walls with intermediate square piers, similar to the S churchyard wall. The wall returns to the E, where there is a small low round-headed niche with drinking trough, which is inscribed '1866', and freestone piers at the rear entrance to the Hall.
Listed as a well-detailed bridge and railings of definite quality, for group value with the church, and for its contribution to the historic character of the village.
Other nearby listed buildings