This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3307 / 52°19'50"N
Longitude: -3.3877 / 3°23'15"W
OS Eastings: 305536
OS Northings: 271196
OS Grid: SO055711
Mapcode National: GBR 9P.V8M5
Mapcode Global: VH691.7PF4
Entry Name: Gate piers, gates and attached walls at entrance to The Hall
Listing Date: 3 September 2004
Last Amended: 3 September 2004
Source ID: 83094
Location: At the SE entrance to the house and continuing on the S side of the gardens facing the road through the village.
Community: Abbey Cwmhir (Abaty Cwm-hir)
Community: Abbey Cwmhir
Locality: Abey Cwmhir
Traditional County: Radnorshire
Built in 1867 by J.W. Poundley & D. Walker, architects of the house and parish church.
Freestone piers have gabled caps with sunk trefoils, and iron gates. Flanking these are rubble and freestone piers, and railings on dwarf walls, beyond which is a coped rubble-stone wall. The wall is longer on the SW side, fronting the road into the village and forming the S boundary of the formal garden, where there is a pointed gateway with iron gate, immediately S of the house. The gate gave access from the house to the abbey ruins, which were part of the pleasure gardens until c1900. The coped boundary wall continues further W to a sharp bend in the road at the SW corner of the gardens opposite Home Farm, beyond which it is plainer.
Listed as a well-detailed gateway and boundary wall contributing to the setting of the house and to the overall historic character of the village.
Other nearby listed buildings