This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3311 / 52°19'51"N
Longitude: -3.3896 / 3°23'22"W
OS Eastings: 305405
OS Northings: 271239
OS Grid: SO054712
Mapcode National: GBR 9P.V83P
Mapcode Global: VH691.6NFW
Entry Name: Happy Union Inn
Listing Date: 3 September 2004
Last Amended: 3 September 2004
Source ID: 83095
Location: On the S side of the road through the village, directly opposite the church.
Community: Abbey Cwmhir (Abaty Cwm-hir)
Community: Abbey Cwmhir
Traditional County: Radnorshire
A C19 public house mentioned in an estate survey of 1822, with windows characteristic of the Abbey Cwmhir Estate in the rebuilding programme undertaken after it was purchased in 1838 by Francis Philips.
A 2-storey 3-window public house, of whitened brick front, rubble-stone side walls and rendered rear, hipped slate roof on sawtooth eaves, and rebuilt brick stacks to the ends and yellow-brick stack L of centre to the front roof slope. The central doorway has a half-glazed panelled door under a round head with wood and plasterwork replacing the original fanlight. Above the door is a wooden sign board. Windows are 2-light small-pane iron-frame casements with Gothic glazing, under segmental heads. They are unequally placed with 2 windows to the R of the doorway and one to the L. The R end wall has inserted windows. A single-storey rear wing has a stone ridge stack. To the R of the wing the main range has an iron-frame casement.
Listed for its architectural interest as a C19 public house retaining strong original character and detail, and for its contribution to the historic character of the village.
Other nearby listed buildings