This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3314 / 52°19'52"N
Longitude: -3.3895 / 3°23'22"W
OS Eastings: 305410
OS Northings: 271275
OS Grid: SO054712
Mapcode National: GBR 9P.V84N
Mapcode Global: VH691.6NGM
Entry Name: Lych gate and attached walls, Abbey Cwmhir churchyard
Listing Date: 4 December 1985
Last Amended: 3 September 2004
Source ID: 83100
Location: Forming the S side of the churchyard.
Community: Abbey Cwmhir (Abaty Cwm-hir)
Community: Abbey Cwmhir
Locality: Abey Cwmhir
Traditional County: Radnorshire
The lych gate is dated 1900. The attached walls are probably contemporary with the building of the church in 1866 by J.W. Poundley and D. Walker.
The lych gate has dwarf rock-faced walls with freestone coping. The open timber-framed superstructure has a gabled slate roof on cambered, castellated tie beams. The lych gate was built over earlier freestone gate piers, which have wooden gates. On the churchyard side the stone walls have inscription tablets, of which the tablet on the E side records the date and that the lych gate was the gift of the people of Abbey Cwmhir in memory of Miss Mary Philips, benefactor of the church.
Attached dwarf walls are of rock-faced stone with freestone copings, and have intermediate and terminal piers, each bay infilled with iron railings incorporating round panels with X-shaped bars. There are 2 bays on the W side and 3 bays on the E side, with a single-bay return to the N to a footbridge.
Listed as a well-detailed lych gate and railings, for group value with the church, and for its contribution to the historic character of the village.
Other nearby listed buildings