This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3302 / 52°19'48"N
Longitude: -3.3887 / 3°23'19"W
OS Eastings: 305464
OS Northings: 271137
OS Grid: SO054711
Mapcode National: GBR 9P.V8CP
Mapcode Global: VH691.6PWK
Entry Name: SW farm range at Home Farm
Listing Date: 3 September 2004
Last Amended: 3 September 2004
Source ID: 83103
Location: On the W side of the house.
Community: Abbey Cwmhir (Abaty Cwm-hir)
Community: Abbey Cwmhir
Traditional County: Radnorshire
Home Farm became the home farm of the Abbey Cwmhir Estate some time after it was purchased by Francis Philips in 1838. Its surviving farm buildings were built in the second half of the nineteenth century in distinctive estate style, and are shown on the 1889 Ordnance Survey.
A lofted brick farm range with slate roof. Windows are small-pane iron-frame casements with Gothic glazing bars characteristic of the Abbey Cwmhir Estate. Facing the yard (E) is a wide lintelled doorway, with 2-light window to the L. The NE angle is splayed. The N gable end has a 2-light window and similar loft opening with one casement missing. In the S gable end is a lean-to with boarded E door, and 2-light window in the gable with one casement missing. Behind (W) is a lower wing with 2 full-height doorways and low round-headed doorway R of centre. On its S side is another long, low wing with wide doorway in its gable end, and boarded gable.
Listed for historical interest as a C19 farm building retaining definite original character and detail, part of a well-preserved farm group that makes an important contribution to the historic character of the village.
Other nearby listed buildings