This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3319 / 52°19'54"N
Longitude: -3.4239 / 3°25'26"W
OS Eastings: 303068
OS Northings: 271382
OS Grid: SO030713
Mapcode National: GBR 9M.VCNX
Mapcode Global: VH690.LNS6
Entry Name: Upper Cwmhir
Listing Date: 3 September 2004
Last Amended: 3 September 2004
Source ID: 83107
Location: An isolated house approximately 2.3km W of the parish church, reached by a farm track on the N side of a minor road between Abbey Cwmhir and Nantmel.
Community: Abbey Cwmhir (Abaty Cwm-hir)
Community: Abbey Cwmhir
Traditional County: Radnorshire
An C18 farmhouse mentioned in 1822 survey of the Abbey Cwmhir estate and shown on the 1839 Tithe map (where it is labelled Glanyrafon). The original house was adapted in the mid C19 in the estate style.
A 1½ storey, 3-window cottage of rubble stone front with brick dressings, slate roof, and replaced brick stack L of centre. Openings have brick surrounds, and segmental heads in the lower storey. Windows are mainly iron-frame casements with small-pane Gothic glazing characteristic of the Abbey Cwmhir estate. The entrance is L of centre and has a boarded door. Windows are 2-light casements in the lower storey, and are iron-framed except for a replacement wooden casement window R of centre. Attic windows to the R of centre and L end are also wooden casements. The L gable end has a 2-light attic window. The R gable end is brick, partly obscured by a later lean-to of corrugated iron and weatherboarding, with slate-hung gable and 2-light attic window. The rear is rubble stone on the R side, brick to the centre and L in 2 phases separated by a vertical joint. A 2-light window is to the R, a single-light window to the L. In the centre is a stair light beneath the eaves.
Listed for its special architectural interest as a small farmhouse retaining definite C19 character and detail.