This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3921 / 51°23'31"N
Longitude: -3.4053 / 3°24'18"W
OS Eastings: 302321
OS Northings: 166835
OS Grid: ST023668
Mapcode National: GBR HM.RJ57
Mapcode Global: VH6FN.X8MM
Entry Name: Bullhouse (Old Chapel) at West Aberthaw Farm
Listing Date: 3 September 2004
Last Amended: 3 September 2004
Source ID: 83112
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: A part of the farmyard group about 50m west of West Aberthaw Farmhouse.
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Community: St. Athan (Sain Tathan)
Community: St. Athan
Locality: West Aberthaw
Traditional County: Glamorgan
This building is said to have been a chapel dedicated to St. Nicholas but there is no real visual evidence to support this, unless the base of the walls, where they are thicker and battered, indicates some medieval fabric. It does, however, appear to have been converted in the C19 into a bullhouse from an earlier building of a possibly ecclesiastical character. It seems to be shown on the Tithe Map of 1839.
The building is constructed of roughly coursed local lias limestone rubble with dressed quoins, Welsh slate roof. It is a single cell building on two storeys with a gabled roof. The entrance is in the east gable and has a quoined doorway under a flat stone lintel. Above this is evidence of a blocked window with segmental head and above that signs that the gable has been raised. The south wall has indications of two blocked windws over a C19 doorway. The wallhead has been raised, as has that on the north wall where it accommodates a plain door to the hayloft. West gable end not seen.
The interior, which shows the thicker base walling, is divided into two pens and retains its wooden hayrack. Queen strut roof trusses with iron reinforcement on the struts.
Included for its special interest as a part of a very complete C19 Vale farmstead group.
Other nearby listed buildings