This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1165 / 52°6'59"N
Longitude: -3.3423 / 3°20'32"W
OS Eastings: 308184
OS Northings: 247312
OS Grid: SO081473
Mapcode National: GBR YR.8TV0
Mapcode Global: VH6B7.02XB
Entry Name: Hen Dy Ysgol
Listing Date: 24 September 2004
Last Amended: 24 September 2004
Source ID: 83138
Location: Set back from and above the N side of the road through the village, approximately 150m E of the parish church. The former school (now Llau Edw) is attached to the SE angle of the house.
Traditional County: Radnorshire
Aberedw National school was built in 1869-70 by J.L. Pearson, architect of London. The school house is probably contemporary and by the same architect. It is shown on the 1889 Ordnance Survey. The attached former school is now also a house.
A 1½-storey cottage in early Arts and Crafts style, of rubble-stone walls, red-tile roof half-hipped to the L, and roughcast stacks L of centre and behind to the R. The near symmetrical front has a central porch with bay window to its L under the same catslide roof. The open-fronted porch has a pointed arch, and replacement half-glazed door. Windows to the R and L have a continuous freestone sill band and relieving arches, and are 3-light casements with diamond leaded lights. A central hipped roof dormer has a similar 2-light window. The R gable end also has a similar attic casement window.
Listed for its special architectural interest as a well-preserved, early Arts-and-Crafts style house.
Other nearby listed buildings