This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1166 / 52°6'59"N
Longitude: -3.3437 / 3°20'37"W
OS Eastings: 308088
OS Northings: 247328
OS Grid: SO080473
Mapcode National: GBR YR.8TF2
Mapcode Global: VH6B7.0257
Entry Name: Llewellyn House
Listing Date: 24 September 2004
Last Amended: 24 September 2004
Source ID: 83140
Location: Immediately E of and below the parish church, on the S side of the road through the village, facing the N bank of the River Edw.
Traditional County: Radnorshire
Cottages are shown here on the 1843 Tithe map, but the present house, originally a pair, is of mid C19 character. They were a single dwelling by 1889.
A late Georgian style 2-storey house retaining its original external form as a pair of double-fronted houses, of which the R-hand (E) is earlier and slightly smaller, and the L-hand (W) has a cross wing to the L. Of coursed rubble, slate roof on projecting eaves, 2 stone stacks to the main range and tall lateral external stack to the cross wing. Windows are mainly small-pane hornless sashes and openings are under cambered stone heads. The R-hand former house has a central boarded door with 4-pane sash window to the L and 12-pane to the R. The upper storey has smaller 9-pane sash windows. The L-hand former house has a central door with vertical ribs, flanked by 12-pane sash windows and smaller 9-pane upper-storey windows. The cross wing has two 12-pane sash windows in the lower storey, of which the R-hand was originally a doorway and has boarding below the sill, and 9-pane upper-storey window. In the L end wall of the cross wing are a 9-pane sash window L of the stack and replacement 8-pane sash window to the R, both in the upper storey. The rear has quoins to the R of the central stack, indicating the joint between the houses and that the E end is earlier. The W side has 4-pane sash windows in each storey. The E side has 2 small-pane windows beneath stone lintels, and a 9-pane sash window upper R. The E gable end has a 2-light casement window upper R and added conservatory.
Listed for its special architectural interest as a well-preserved C19 house retaining original character and detail.
Other nearby listed buildings