This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3931 / 51°23'35"N
Longitude: -3.3184 / 3°19'6"W
OS Eastings: 308365
OS Northings: 166829
OS Grid: ST083668
Mapcode National: GBR HR.RG0J
Mapcode Global: VH6FQ.F7JX
Entry Name: Porthkerry Viaduct (partly in the Barry community)
Listing Date: 28 January 1963
Last Amended: 30 September 2004
Source ID: 83158
Building Class: Transport
Location: To the north of the main carpark in Porthkerry Country Park and crossing into Barry Community.
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Community: Barry (Y Barri)
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Built 1894-1900. First opened in 1897 as a part of the Vale of Glamorgan Railway from Barry to Bridgend, engineer J W Szlumper (with Charles Szlumper and William Szlumper). First completed in 1896 but parts of the viaduct subsided 10th January 1898, and the railway had to be diverted via a loop-line until 1900. This was one of the last major masonry viaducts completed in Britain. The Vale of Glamorgan became a part of the Great Western Railway at Grouping in 1923.
Coursed quarry faced grey stone with brick arch rings. Irregular spans to sixteen semi-circular arches; tall tapering stone piers, with plinths of varying height; brick arches, maximum height circa 30 metres; stone parapet with corbelled refuges over every second pier. The viaduct crosses the steep valley of the stream which forms the eastern boundary of Rhoose Community, and is partly in Barry Community.
Included as one of the most impressive railway viaducts in South Wales.
Other nearby listed buildings