This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8215 / 51°49'17"N
Longitude: -3.0174 / 3°1'2"W
OS Eastings: 329974
OS Northings: 214147
OS Grid: SO299141
Mapcode National: GBR F5.WJ5Q
Mapcode Global: VH796.NG6Y
Entry Name: Lloyds TSB
Listing Date: 25 October 2004
Last Amended: 10 November 2005
Source ID: 83194
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Situated on the main commercial street which runs from south-east to north-west across Abergavenny.
Community: Abergavenny (Y Fenni)
Built-Up Area: Abergavenny
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Built first in 1895-7 and designed by A E Lloyd-Oswell and purpose built as a bank. The bank was later increased in size from one gable to two in 1933. The Jacobean/Domestic Revival style is an eclectic mixture, as if influenced by both Richard Norman Shaw and George Skipper of Norwich. The first part built is to the left (No. 55) which had one gable and two oriels. The only sign of the differing parts now visible is the slight variation in the first floor brickwork.
The ground floor is faced with pink Alveley sandstone ashlar, the first floor is red brick with stone dressings and the attic is timber framed and rendered, with a red plain-tile roof and red brick stacks. Jacobean/Domestic Revival style. Two storeys and attic, with seven bays on the ground floor, three on the first floor and two in the attic; this was partly the result of being built in two phases (see History). The ground floor has doorways at either end, although the right hand one is blocked and now contains ATMs. They are arched, with carved squinches and have scrolls above, BANK to left and HOUSE to right. The left one has a 2-light ogee arched window above and the right one a moulded bulls-eye. The next bays in are narrow ones framed by pilasters and with an arched window with a smaller plain one in the mezzanine; this is framed by carved brackets which support the oriel above. The next bays in again are wider and have 3-light windows below and 4-light above, all with stone mullions. Finally the centre bay repeats the outer ones under the oriels. The first floor has three large oriel windows with areas of brick on either side. The oriels are canted and have 4-light windows with transom, arched head and carved apron. The attic floor has two large gables with applied timber framing and render. These gables oversail the lower storey and are supported on large paired brackets ornamented with swags and grotesques between the oriels. Between these brackets there is a stone beehive in low relief, the emblem of the founder bank. Each gable has paired 3-light windows with leaded lights and a king post with herring-bone struts above, bargeboards with strapwork decoration, spike finials. Rainwater goods having castellated heads with foliate emblems. Plain roof with large, ornately detailed gable stacks.
Rear elevation not fully inspected, but it has a scalloped tile-hung central gable with hipped roof and small paned casement windows. Altered lower rear wing with concrete tile roof.
The ground floor has been altered in the late C20 but the C17 style strapwork ceiling survives over the main banking hall. Upper floors not seen at resurvey.
Included for its special architectural interest as a fine late C19 purpose built bank designed in a richly decorated manner by A E Lloyd-Oswell. It also forms part of the main group of historic buildings in the centre of Abergavenny.
Other nearby listed buildings