This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7363 / 51°44'10"N
Longitude: -4.9912 / 4°59'28"W
OS Eastings: 193561
OS Northings: 208416
OS Grid: SM935084
Mapcode National: GBR G6.TRF1
Mapcode Global: VH1RS.FMQ8
Entry Name: Hayston Hall
Listing Date: 10 November 2004
Last Amended: 10 November 2004
Source ID: 83215
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On the E side of the A477 some 350m S of Hayston Bridge.
Community: Llanstadwell (Llanstadwel)
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Gentry house, probably early C19 in origin, remodelled in 1880s. Hayston is recorded from C16 as a yeoman house: John Mabe in 1550, David Mabe in 1607. There were three properties in 1786, owned by Philipps, Mathias and Lord Kensington, all tenanted.
In 1699 and 1759 one of the properties was owned by the Jordans of Dumpledale, then sold 1759 to Rev O. Philipps of Haverfordwest. The second property was sold in 1785 by assignees of Marmaduke Gwynne to R. Mathias of Tierston, and the third was owned by W. Edwardes of Johnston, created Baron Kensington in 1776. This house is the Mathias house: Richard Mathias came to live at Hayston sometime after 1786 and probably rebuilt c. 1800. He died before 1814, when his son, also Richard was there. What was called the mansion house of Hayston, of the late Richard Mathias, was sold in 1837 with Hayston Mill. Hayston Hall was occupied by T. H. Davies in 1877-88, who may have been responsible for the remodelling. Said to have been owned by the Tasker family.
House, unpainted lined stucco with slate hipped eaves roof and red brick end stacks. Plain three-storey, three-window front with plinth, quoins, flat eaves and late C19 plate-glass sash windows, the upper ones shorter, the ground floor ones tripartite and aligned to show that they are enlargements of original single-sash openings, both enlarged on inner side. Centre blank elliptical arched recess with keystone, replacing door. Openings have thin quarter-round mouldings stopped before angles. End walls have one window to each upper floor, set towards rear. Ground floor has hipped lean-to on ground floor right, left end has late C19 gabled porch aligned with windows above. Porch is enclosed with fishscale slating to roof, Gothic segmental-pointed entry and bargeboards. Half-glazed door within.
Rear has rear wing attached to right, and stair windows to left of centre 12-pane sash over long 18-pane sash. Four pane sash to ground floor right.
The long two-storey rear range is of rubble stone (unpainted render to rear) with brick window heads to plate glass sashes and small brick right end stack. Five bays irregularly spaced, the window and door of last bay apparently C20 replacing blocked windows just to left. Lean-to enclosed porch in second bay. Rear extreme right has a little Gothic window with late C19 stained glass (part of late C19 entrance hall), female figure 'Irene'.
Interior not inspected, said to have been remodelled in later C19 with large new stair hall with open-well stair, the left side open into the rear wing which formerly had the kitchens beyond.
Included as a substantial gentry house of late Georgian origins remodelled in later C19.
Other nearby listed buildings