This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2511 / 52°15'4"N
Longitude: -3.4698 / 3°28'11"W
OS Eastings: 299760
OS Northings: 262458
OS Grid: SN997624
Mapcode National: GBR YK.0CZ8
Mapcode Global: VH5CX.TP04
Entry Name: Garden & courtyard walls on W and SW sides of Doldowlod House (partly in Nantmel)
Listing Date: 15 November 2004
Last Amended: 15 November 2004
Source ID: 83230
Location: On the W and SW sides of the house.
Community: Llanyre (Llanllŷr)
Traditional County: Radnorshire
Doldowlod was purchased by the engineer James Watt of Soho, Birmingham, in 1803 and was developed as a country residence by his son James Watt junior (1769-1848) of Birmingham in the second quarter of the C19. The present house was built in the 1840s as an extension to an existing farmhouse, which was demolished when the house was further extended in the 1870s. The garden walls were constructed in the 1870s.
An L-shaped garden wall is attached to the NW end of the house, of rubble stone with freestone coping. It has a square pier to the angle, and similar gate piers leading to the yard on the N side of the house. The wall continues on the NW side of the house, forming the boundary of the formal garden, and then continues as a ha-ha of rock-faced stone oriented in a NW-SE direction, parallel with the front of the house. The ha-ha has a slightly recessed gateway with square piers and wooden posts to a barred wooden gate. Further R are lately added steps, directly in front of the entrance to the house, and the ha-ha continues to the end of the formal garden, beyond which it continues as a rubble-stone field wall.
Listed for group value with Doldowlod House and associated outbuildings.
Other nearby listed buildings