This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4792 / 52°28'45"N
Longitude: -3.5625 / 3°33'45"W
OS Eastings: 293976
OS Northings: 287956
OS Grid: SN939879
Mapcode National: GBR 9G.JTT9
Mapcode Global: VH5BQ.6YHB
Entry Name: Chimney Stack W of Brynlludw
Listing Date: 17 November 2004
Last Amended: 17 November 2004
Source ID: 83242
Location: Located off the W side of a lane which leads to Van Farm. Immediately W of Brynlludw bungalow.
Community: Llanidloes Without (Llanidloes Allanol)
Community: Llanidloes Without
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
The Van mines were exploited for lead from 1866, and were managed by Captain William Williams and owned by Earl Vane. The first deep shaft was operated by a winding engine, and this boiler stack was connected to it; some rubble foundations of the engine house are still visible at ground level. A new shaft, known as Seaham's, was sunk c1870 a short distance to the S; both engine houses are shown on the Ordnance Survey of 1903.
Tall tapering octagonal stack of yellow firebrick which stands to approximately two-thirds of its original height. The shaft rests on a square brick base with moulded capstone.
Listed as a prominent survival from an important regional industry, of which little else remains above ground level, and for group value with the full-height boiler stack just to its S.
Other nearby listed buildings