This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.4788 / 52°28'43"N
Longitude: -3.5624 / 3°33'44"W
OS Eastings: 293985
OS Northings: 287912
OS Grid: SN939879
Mapcode National: GBR 9G.JTVQ
Mapcode Global: VH5BQ.6YKM
Entry Name: Chimney Stack SW of Brynlludw
Listing Date: 17 November 2004
Last Amended: 17 November 2004
Source ID: 83251
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Located off the W side of a lane which leads to Van Farm. Immediately SW of Brynlludw bungalow.
Community: Llanidloes Without (Llanidloes Allanol)
Community: Llanidloes Without
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
The Van mines were exploited for lead from 1866, and were managed by Captain William Williams and owned by Earl Vane. A new shaft, known as Seaham's, was sunk c1870 to the S of the original deep shaft. Due to its depth a Cornish pumping engine was brought in from elsewhere, and erected c1876. This boiler stack was connected to the former engine house, which is no longer standing above ground level; the outline of the mine shaft is visible to the E and has recently been infilled. The engine house is shown on the Ordnance Survey of 1903, and in a photo of 1932.
Tall tapering octagonal stack of yellow firebrick with moulded octagonal iron cap to top, beneath which is a brick band. The shaft rests on a square brick base with moulded capstone.
Listed as a prominent and well-preserved boiler stack, a survival from an important regional industry, of which little else remains above ground level.
Other nearby listed buildings