History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

No 1 Ty Mawr

A Grade II Listed Building in Ysgubor-y-Coed, Ceredigion

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.542 / 52°32'31"N

Longitude: -3.9393 / 3°56'21"W

OS Eastings: 268577

OS Northings: 295560

OS Grid: SN685955

Mapcode National: GBR 8Y.DYJG

Mapcode Global: VH4DV.NCSN

Entry Name: No 1 Ty Mawr

Listing Date: 23 November 2004

Last Amended: 23 November 2004

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 83267

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated immediately N of Church of St Michael.

County: Ceredigion

Town: Machynlleth

Community: Ysgubor-y-coed

Community: Ysgubor-y-Coed

Locality: Eglwys Fach

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Eglwys-fach

History

Farm house, now divided into two, C17 or C18 origins, altered in C19. Shown on 1845 tithe map as cottages owned by the Glandyfi estate and in 1906 Glandyfi estate sale catalogue as Ty Mawr or Church Farm, with 4 rooms upstairs, two downstairs and wheelwright's shop adjoining. Sold with 14 acres.

Exterior

House now divided into two, whitewashed rubble stone with slate roof and stone chimneys. Two storeys. Large external chimney breast with stone stack on N end of No 2 and smaller stone ridge stack on No 1, at original gable end, both with dripstones. Rear wing with stone ridge stack to No 2. First floor has four windows with thin slate sills, two casement pairs to No 1, two 9-pane sashes to No 2, the right one renewed. Ground floor of No 1 has larger window to left with heavy oak lintel and thick stone sill, then door with timber lintel close to door to No 2, which has two small-paned paired casements to right. The openings generally are not aligned with those above. To left of No 1, under same roof, is an added section with two altered windows with brick heads of earlier openings above, set at mid-height relative to the rest of the range, due to sloping site. Rubble S end wall. N end wall of No 2 has big external chimney with stepped chimney breast. Small window each floor to right. Rear wing has outshut to N with two windows and square rubble stone stack on ridge. Whitewashed end gable with upper window.

Interior

Interior not inspected.

Reasons for Listing

Included as part of an early farmhouse with surviving original features.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.