This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1845 / 53°11'4"N
Longitude: -4.149 / 4°8'56"W
OS Eastings: 256499
OS Northings: 367422
OS Grid: SH564674
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.36MQ
Mapcode Global: WH54F.77K1
Entry Name: Ty'n Llwyn Farm - NW range of Yard
Listing Date: 10 March 2006
Last Amended: 10 March 2006
Source ID: 83284
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: This range is west of the entrance to the yard on the N side of the range.
Locality: Ty'n Llwyn
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Ty'n llwyn was a farm on the Vaenol estate of Thomas Assheton Smith. Map evidence suggests that a small early farm (in existence by c1780) was replaced by a larger scale farmstead between c1820 and c1830, though perhaps reconstructed as a model farmstead by its most notable tenant, John Owen. The farmhouse and a barn at the SW of the site appear to occupy the site of the earlier buildings, but the architectural evidence suggests that the farm was essentially laid out as a new model holding. In 1853, the tenancy was taken on by John Owen who farmed here until 1868: in that year, he was evicted for his Liberal political convictions, which placed him at odds with the Toryism of his landlord. John Owen was a methodist preacher and a pioneering farmer and writer on agriculture. He invested considerably in the improvement of the land at Ty'n llwyn. His interest in Welsh Black Cattle is possibly reflected in the design of this farm, which is laid out as a specialist stock-raising establishment.
Single storeyed. Rough quarried rubble, with coarse mortared joints and large slates to roof. Brick dressings to openings. Alternating arrangement of windows and doors, with one original boarded door, the other a modern replacement; the windows with glazed upper panels and slatted lower sections. Dark red paint may be an estate feature.
Collar trusses with wrought-iron braces and king-posts.
Listed as an integral part of this exceptionally complete large-scale planned specialist farm-stead, which retains good estate character.
Other nearby listed buildings