This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3011 / 52°18'3"N
Longitude: -3.3124 / 3°18'44"W
OS Eastings: 310602
OS Northings: 267807
OS Grid: SO106678
Mapcode National: GBR 9S.X345
Mapcode Global: VH698.JFQB
Entry Name: Barn and attached cow house at Dolydre Farm
Listing Date: 30 November 2004
Last Amended: 30 November 2004
Source ID: 83355
Location: Approximately 0.8km SSW of the parish church, reached by farm road leading S from the A483.
Community: Llanddewi Ystradenny (Llanddewi Ystradenni)
Community: Llanddewi Ystradenny
Traditional County: Radnorshire
A C17 barn originally incorporating a cow house in the end bay. In the early C19 a new cow house was built at R angles to form an L-shaped block, which is shown on the 1839 Tithe map. Renewal of weatherboards and re-use of the building has obscured original openings in the cow house.
A barn with former cow house at right angles, forming an L-shaped plan. Both are timber-framed with weatherboarding and have a steep corrugated iron roofs. In the barn, the wagon bay entrance R of centre is carried above the eaves but the doors are missing. A wide opening for a vehicle has been made on the L side. In the rear elevation the wagon bay has been infilled with framing, incorporating a boarded door. The cow house has a wide central full-height opening, loft opening under raked half dormers, and a small opening L of centre. Behind is a modern shed.
The 5-bay barn retains 4 cruck trusses, mostly retaining tie and collar beams, with box-framed ends. The 5-bay cow house has tie-beam trusses with either king post and raking struts, or raking struts.
Listed for its special architectural interest as a rare well-preserved cruck-framed farm building with added cow house in a later timber-framed tradition.
Other nearby listed buildings