This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3326 / 52°19'57"N
Longitude: -3.4978 / 3°29'52"W
OS Eastings: 298034
OS Northings: 271552
OS Grid: SN980715
Mapcode National: GBR 9J.V5H6
Mapcode Global: VH5CJ.BM6Q
Entry Name: Lluest, including attached cow house
Listing Date: 14 December 2004
Last Amended: 14 December 2004
Source ID: 83376
Location: Approximately 1.5km SW of St Harmon, reached by farm track and across fields on the E side of a minor road between St Harmon and Rhayader.
Community: St. Harmon (Saint Harmon)
Community: St. Harmon
Locality: St Harmon
Traditional County: Radnorshire
An early C19 labourer's cottage shown on the 1833 OS and the 1840 Tithe map. A jamb on the R side of the entrance is inscribed '1845 TH'. The initials possibly refer to a descendant of Henry Hamer, who lived there in 1840. The cottage became a smallholding in the later C19 when a cow house was added, which is shown on the 1889 OS.
A 1½-storey cottage of rubble stone with slate roof and square stone stack to the L. Openings have wooden lintels. The boarded door to the L has a date-inscribed jamb. Further R are two 2-light windows, but with the glazing missing. The R gable end has a similar 2-light attic window and a small pantry window lower R.
A corrugated iron roof links the house with the cow house, covering a narrow passage between the two. The cow house is rubble stone with slate roof (partly missing at the rear). The front has 2 boarded doors and a weatherboarded loft, with shuttered opening on the R side (only partially fixed at the time of inspection). The L gable end has a boarded loft door under a brick segmental head. The rear has 2 tiers of ventilation strips.
The 3-bay cow house roof has tie beams with raking struts.
Listed for its special historic interest as a rare well-preserved small C19 farmstead, a type once common in upland Radnorshire, with cottage still in the vernacular tradition.
Other nearby listed buildings