History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pont Rhydygroes

A Grade II Listed Building in Ysbyty Ystwyth, Ceredigion

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3385 / 52°20'18"N

Longitude: -3.8486 / 3°50'55"W

OS Eastings: 274147

OS Northings: 272765

OS Grid: SN741727

Mapcode National: GBR 92.TWJW

Mapcode Global: VH4FW.7HQ5

Entry Name: Pont Rhydygroes

Listing Date: 23 December 2004

Last Amended: 23 December 2004

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 83420

Building Class: Transport

Location: Situated at N end of village, across Ystwyth.

County: Ceredigion

Town: Ystrad Meurig

Community: Ysbyty Ystwyth

Community: Ysbyty Ystwyth

Locality: Pontrhydygroes

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Pont-rhyd-y-groes

History

Road bridge, rubble stone rebuilt by Cardiganshire County Council in 1893, to the design of R. Lloyd, surveyor, Captain J. Owen, contractor. The date plaque appears to have been broken before being set in the parapet, suggesting the bridge was repaired again after 1893. Captain Owen 1840-1907 was mine manager at Frongoch and Cwmystwyth mines.
The previous bridge was described as a 'neat stone arch' by Meyrick in 1810, and is illustrated in early views of the Hafod estate.

Exterior

Single arched stone bridge in large blocks of rock-faced squared snecked rubble stone. Broad segmental arch with rock-faced stone voussoirs. Raised string course, flat parapet of similar stone work with coping of massive roughly squared blocks. At each end are raised stone thin piers with string course broken forward and dressed capstones. Broken reset date plaque on right end of W parapet -
'Pont Rhyd-y-groes, Adeiladwyd gan Cynghor Sirol Ceredigion 1893, Surveyor R. Lloyd, Contractor, Captain J. Owen'.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a late C19 masonry bridge of group value with Hafod House and Ystwyth Villa.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Ystwyth Villa
    Situated next to Hafod House facing over the bridge in Pontrhydygroes.
  • II Hafod House
    Situated attached to Ystwyth Villa, facing S over the bridge at Pontrhydygroes, set in narrow railed
  • II Outbuilding at Ystwyth Villa
    Situated to the rear of Ystwyth Villa, one of the pair of houses opposite Pont Rhydygroes.
  • II Gatepiers and gates at Hafod Lower Lodge
    Situated immediately beside the lodge, E of bridge over Ystwyth.
  • II Hafod Lower Lodge
    Situated on the N bank of the Ystwyth, some 120m E of the bridge.
  • II Nos 1 and 2 Smiths Cottages
    Situated on N side of river, by roadside some 300m E of Pont Rhydygroes.
  • II The Old Post Office
    Situated in centre of village, by side of main road, just SW of former Capel Bethel.
  • II Bronygraig
    Situated on terrace overlooking B4343, behind the Old Post Office on lane to Capel Bethel.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.