History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Telephone Call-box outside The Old Post Office

A Grade II Listed Building in Ysbyty Ystwyth, Ceredigion

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.335 / 52°20'6"N

Longitude: -3.8518 / 3°51'6"W

OS Eastings: 273921

OS Northings: 272386

OS Grid: SN739723

Mapcode National: GBR 92.V28V

Mapcode Global: VH4FW.6K1T

Entry Name: Telephone Call-box outside The Old Post Office

Listing Date: 23 December 2004

Last Amended: 23 December 2004

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 83423

Building Class: Communications

Location: Situated in centre of village outside former the Old Post Office.

County: Ceredigion

Town: Ystrad Meurig

Community: Ysbyty Ystwyth

Community: Ysbyty Ystwyth

Locality: Pontrhydygroes

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Pont-rhyd-y-groes

History

Telephone call box of standard K6 design by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott made for the GPO in 1930s. The family of the postmaster from 1904, D.J. Davies, had a letter of 5/3/1934 giving consent for the erection of a telephone kiosk on the forecourt of the shop, at an annual rental of one shilling.

Exterior

Telephone kiosk, red-painted cast-iron with shallow-domed top and George VI crown in lunettes, over glazed panels lettered ''Telephone''. Door and sides have glazing in 8 bands, each with marginal glazing bars. Blank rear with maker''s plaque of Carron Co. Stirlingshire.

Reasons for Listing

Included for group value with the Old Post Office.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II The Old Post Office
    Situated in centre of village, by side of main road, just SW of former Capel Bethel.
  • II Bronygraig
    Situated on terrace overlooking B4343, behind the Old Post Office on lane to Capel Bethel.
  • II Lisburne House
    Situated some 250m SSW of Old Post Office, below main village road, on lane to Llanafan, opposite Lisburne Garage.
  • II Gwynfryn and Isfryn
    Situated some 170m S of the Old Post Office, backing onto road where it bends around the Lefel Fawr mine site.
  • II Bronheulog
    Situated some 200m S of the Old Post Office, facing rear of Gwynfryn/Isfryn, on the Lefel Fawr mine-working site.
  • II Entrance arch to the Lefel Fawr
    Situated in embankment that carries the main road some 15m SE of Gwynfryn & Isfryn, about 200m S of the Old Post Office
  • II Pont Rhydygroes
    Situated at N end of village, across Ystwyth.
  • II Ystwyth Villa
    Situated next to Hafod House facing over the bridge in Pontrhydygroes.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.