This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8891 / 52°53'20"N
Longitude: -4.0614 / 4°3'41"W
OS Eastings: 261404
OS Northings: 334398
OS Grid: SH614343
Mapcode National: GBR 5S.Q3WL
Mapcode Global: WH55T.LM6Z
Entry Name: Bryn y felin
Listing Date: 30 December 2004
Last Amended: 30 December 2004
Source ID: 83432
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Set at right angles to the S side of the country road which leads through the small hamlet of Eisingrug; at the southern end of the hamlet.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Probably early C19 mill house. Recorded as Singrug Mill on the Tithe Map of the parish, 1842. Formed part of the Glyn Cywarch estate, owned by William Ormesby Gore Esq. and occupied by John Jones. The house was home to Ann Jones, or Gwyneth Vaughan (1852-1910), a lecturer and author of two well known novels: O Gorlannau'r Defaid and Plant y Gorthwen - the former describing a religious revival in the neighbourhood of Talsarnau, the latter dealing with political persecution in her time; her initials are carved on the windowsill.
Two storey mill house. Simple Georgian vernacular. Built of mortared rubble masonry; slate roof with rectangular gable stacks with dripstones and capping. The principal elevation opens into an enclosed garden to S; a 3-window range with central boarded door and 12-pane sash windows with slate sills. To rear the roof continues down over a rear outshut which has entrance via a boarded door to R (S) with 12-paned light over and a further 12-paned light to L.
The interior could not be inspected at the time of the survey.
Listed as a well-preserved cottage which retains good traditional Georgian vernacular character.
Other nearby listed buildings