This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9211 / 52°55'15"N
Longitude: -4.0482 / 4°2'53"W
OS Eastings: 262394
OS Northings: 337924
OS Grid: SH623379
Mapcode National: GBR 5T.N13C
Mapcode Global: WH55M.SVG0
Entry Name: Milepost to N of Llandecwyn
Listing Date: 30 December 2004
Last Amended: 30 December 2004
Source ID: 83457
Building Class: Transport
Location: Set along the NW side of the A496 leading N out of the village of Llandecwyn.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Probably mid C19 milepost. Merioneth was the last of the Welsh counties to have turnpike roads and it was at a county meeting in Dolgellau in 1775 that it was resolved to convert the principal tracks of the county into turnpikes, in partnership with Caernarfonshire. By the end of the C18 most of the existing roads had been brought under the Trust under the Merioneth Turnpike Act of 1777. The stretch of road that this series of mileposts serves was constructed following the reclamation of Traeth Mawr, and the erection of the Cob at Porthmadog, opened in 1808.
Cast iron milepost with a triangular profile, wider at the top with a raking head and facing panels which bear the names and distances: BLAENAU / FFESTINIOG / 8 on the left hand face and HARLECH / 6 on the right.
Listed as a C19 milepost, one of a series along the road between Maentwrog and Harlech.
Other nearby listed buildings