This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9285 / 52°55'42"N
Longitude: -4.0433 / 4°2'35"W
OS Eastings: 262748
OS Northings: 338740
OS Grid: SH627387
Mapcode National: GBR 5T.MG9P
Mapcode Global: WH55M.VNTB
Entry Name: Wharf at Cei Newydd
Listing Date: 30 December 2004
Last Amended: 30 December 2004
Source ID: 83476
Building Class: Maritime
Location: Sited along the E bank of the Afon Dwyryd and below the W side of the A496 opposite Cei Newydd.
Locality: Vale of Ffestiniog
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Early C19 slate quay or wharf. The lower Dwyryd Valley was owned by the Oakley family at Plas Tan y Bwlch, Maentwrog. William Oakley began a major scheme to drain the valley and to build stout earthen embankments to keep the tidal river within its banks. A document of 1796 refers to 1423 yards (1301 metres) of embankment, with associated drains etc, costing £309. William died in 1811 and the estate passed to his son William Gryffyd Oakeley, who spent a fortune on the estate and building new estate buildings in the area. It was also during the early years of his estate management that the nearby slate quarries were developed.
The opening and rapid development of the slate quarrying industry at Blaenau Ffestiniog at the beginning of the century gave rise to the construction of quays all along the banks of the Afon Dwyryd; at first the slates were brought down to the quays and loaded onto sea-going ships for transportation. The opening of the narrow gauge railway (1833-1836) from Blaenau to Portmadoc brought this traffic to an end.
One of a series of slate quays along the banks of the Afon Dwyryd. Built of large slabs of local stone in a pattern of large crenellations.
Listed as one of a series of little-altered slate quays along the banks of the Afon Dwyryd; of particular interest for their links to the slate industry which was so important to the region throughout the C19.
Other nearby listed buildings