History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lychgate to Church of Saint Maelog

A Grade II Listed Building in Honddu Isaf, Powys

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9816 / 51°58'53"N

Longitude: -3.4084 / 3°24'30"W

OS Eastings: 303369

OS Northings: 232391

OS Grid: SO033323

Mapcode National: GBR YN.K967

Mapcode Global: VH6BR.VGZ9

Entry Name: Lychgate to Church of Saint Maelog

Listing Date: 16 February 2005

Last Amended: 16 February 2005

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 83682

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: On the W side of the churchyard in the centre of Llandefaelog Fach.

County: Powys

Town: Brecon

Community: Honddu Isaf

Community: Honddu Isaf

Locality: Llandyfaelog Fach

Traditional County: Brecknockshire

Find accommodation in
Lower Chapel

History

Lychgate of 1897 by F. R. Kempson of Cardiff erected by William Powell of Struet House, Brecon, to his son Edward Powell 1858-94. It was made by John Griffiths of Brecon.

Exterior

Lychgate, oak, on side walls of rockfaced grey rubble stone with red sandstone chamfered coping and top to high plinth. Dedication panel on N wall. Roof gabled to sides, of plain tiles with crested ridge tiles. Three posts each side, outer ones with curved braces up to lintels, and small outer shaped blocks. Sides each have two pointed openings with ogee cusped bracing, tie-beam, king-post and diagonal struts in gable. Double iron gates with double lower, middle and top rails, spearheads with scrolls, and diagonal strengthening bars.

Reasons for Listing

Included for its special interest as a well-designed late C19 lychgate giving access to a notable church and churchyard.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II* Church of Saint Maelog
    In a prominent position in the centre of Llandefaelog Fach between the B4520 and the Afon Honddu.
  • II Churchyard cross and Dickinson vault
    On the S side of the churchyard in the centre of Llandefaelog Fach.
  • II Mausoleum to Watkins family of Penoyre
    On the S side of the churchyard in the centre of Llandefaelog Fach. Now surrounded by scrub and othe
  • II Llandefaelog House
    On the W side of the B4520 some 100m SW of the Church of Saint Maelog. There is a Norman motte adjac
  • II Bridge over Afon Honddu
    Carrying a minor road over the Afon Honddu just N of the Church of Saint Maelog in Llandefaelog Fach
  • II The Old Rectory
    On the N side of Llandefaelog Fach at the end of a drive some 200m NW of the Church of Saint Maelog.
  • II* Glan-Honddu
    On the S side of Llandefaelog Fach at the end of a drive W off the B4520.
  • II Lodge to Glan-Honddu
    On the W side of the B4520 some 650m S of the Church of Saint Maelog in Llandefaelog Fach.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.