History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mausoleum to Watkins family of Penoyre

A Grade II Listed Building in Honddu Isaf, Powys

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9812 / 51°58'52"N

Longitude: -3.408 / 3°24'28"W

OS Eastings: 303394

OS Northings: 232353

OS Grid: SO033323

Mapcode National: GBR YN.K99N

Mapcode Global: VH6BR.WG5K

Entry Name: Mausoleum to Watkins family of Penoyre

Listing Date: 16 February 2005

Last Amended: 16 February 2005

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 83683

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: On the S side of the churchyard in the centre of Llandefaelog Fach. Now surrounded by scrub and other vegetation.

County: Powys

Town: Brecon

Community: Honddu Isaf

Community: Honddu Isaf

Locality: Llandefaelog Fach

Traditional County: Brecknockshire

Find accommodation in
Lower Chapel

History

Mausoleum erected 1818 by the Rev Thomas Watkins of Penoyre, Battle, for his daughter Julia died 1818 aged 12, and as a family vault. Formerly built into W wall of the mausoleum was an important incised cross stone, C10-11, of some eight feet with Latin cross with knotted ends, with plaitwork in each corner, above a relief figure holding ?club and dagger, with knotwork in surround. Rope-moulded panel below with ' BRIAMAIL FLOU' and panel of plaitwork below. This stone is now in the parish church.

Exterior

Mausoleum, plain rubble stone rectangle with windowless long side walls, overgrown and roof not visible. E end has massive ashlar lintel over iron-barred opening, the lintel inscribed to Julia Watkins died 1818, 'Revere the holy ground on which you tread/ this vault that rises oer my Julia's head .... Th Watkins Pennoyre 1818'. W end has boarded door and ashlar lintel inscribed 'We died to live forever' and rectangular opening with iron grille over.
Mausoleum is set in rubble-walled enclosure with low doorway to W.

Interior

Interior is brick vaulted with iron coffin shelves to sides.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a rare example in Wales of a family mausoleum of late Georgian period.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Churchyard cross and Dickinson vault
    On the S side of the churchyard in the centre of Llandefaelog Fach.
  • II* Church of Saint Maelog
    In a prominent position in the centre of Llandefaelog Fach between the B4520 and the Afon Honddu.
  • II Lychgate to Church of Saint Maelog
    On the W side of the churchyard in the centre of Llandefaelog Fach.
  • II Llandefaelog House
    On the W side of the B4520 some 100m SW of the Church of Saint Maelog. There is a Norman motte adjacent.
  • II Bridge over Afon Honddu
    Carrying a minor road over the Afon Honddu just N of the Church of Saint Maelog in Llandefaelog Fach.
  • II The Old Rectory
    On the N side of Llandefaelog Fach at the end of a drive some 200m NW of the Church of Saint Maelog.
  • II* Glan-Honddu
    On the S side of Llandefaelog Fach at the end of a drive W off the B4520.
  • II Lodge to Glan-Honddu
    On the W side of the B4520 some 650m S of the Church of Saint Maelog in Llandefaelog Fach.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.