This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1653 / 52°9'54"N
Longitude: -3.3984 / 3°23'54"W
OS Eastings: 304450
OS Northings: 252809
OS Grid: SO044528
Mapcode National: GBR YN.5RPP
Mapcode Global: VH69T.1TRZ
Entry Name: Gate piers and attached walls at entrance to Cefndyrys
Listing Date: 18 February 2005
Last Amended: 18 February 2005
Source ID: 83713
Location: At the main entrance to Cefndyrys from the A483, approximately 0.5km ESE of the house.
Traditional County: Radnorshire
Cefndyrys was built 1787-90 for David Thomas. The gate piers and Cefndyrys Lodge were built in the mid C19, and are first shown on the 1889 Ordnance Survey, when the main entrance to the house was switched to the E side, replacing the previous main entrance by a drive on the SW side of the house. The gateway was slightly widened in the late C20, when the walls were partially taken down and the piers moved outwards, necessitating removal of the wooden gate.
Square gate piers of tooled stone have a narrower upper stage of freestone carved with heraldic shields and with pyramid caps. The piers are flanked by concave rubble-stone walls with copings. Outer terminal piers are square with pyramid caps. On the R side the wall continues and abuts Cefndyrys Lodge.
Listed for its special architectural interest as gate piers and walls retaining definite C19 character, forming a strong visual group with Cefndyrys Lodge, and for its overall contribution to the historic integrity of the house.
Other nearby listed buildings