This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9467 / 52°56'48"N
Longitude: -3.9938 / 3°59'37"W
OS Eastings: 266127
OS Northings: 340670
OS Grid: SH661406
Mapcode National: GBR 5W.LG8V
Mapcode Global: WH55N.M6CB
Entry Name: Folly at Tan-y-Bwlch
Listing Date: 25 February 2005
Last Amended: 25 February 2005
Source ID: 83997
Building Class: Domestic
Location: In an isolated location, set well back from the S side of the A487(T) and on the flood plain of the Afon Dwyryd. Lies to S of the Oakeley Arms.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Several views and maps from the late C18 onwards show a small apparently artificial wooded knoll surmounted by a small building (it is first clearly visible on a sketch by J Ingleby, 1794). Nothing else is known about this building, which was presumably a folly or eye-catcher in the view from Plas-tan-y-bwlch. The building probably had a slate roof originally, but has been roofless since before 1888.
Single storey folly, built to a square plan and now roofless. The structure is built of coursed and mortared rubble masonry with a gable to each elevation. There is a single window in the S elevation and another window or doorway in the north. The structure was fenced off and partially obscured by vegetation at the time of the survey (July 2003).
The interior was not inspected at the time of the survey (June/July 2003).
Listed notwithstanding its condition, as a late eighteenth century folly associated with Plas-tan-y-bwlch.
Other nearby listed buildings