This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9535 / 52°57'12"N
Longitude: -3.983 / 3°58'58"W
OS Eastings: 266877
OS Northings: 341408
OS Grid: SH668414
Mapcode National: GBR 5W.KYSB
Mapcode Global: WH55N.S1J3
Entry Name: House adjacent to Bryn y Dolywyd
Listing Date: 25 February 2005
Last Amended: 25 February 2005
Source ID: 84005
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Slightly set back from the N side of the narrow country road that runs along the N side of the Vale of Ffestiniog between the A487(T) and the B4391; ENE of Maentwrog.
Locality: Vale of Ffestiniog
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Mid to late C19 cottage, built on part of Glan yr afon, recorded in the tithe apportionment of the parish, 1840, as being owned by Richard Richards Humphreys Esq, Lord Tottenham and occupied by Thomas Lloyd, a farmer of close to 80 acres. Extended by the addition of a single storey wing to L (W) gable in C20 and appeared to under restoration at the time of the survey (July 2003).
Two storey farmhouse, built of mortared rubble masonry with large stones as quoins and lintels. Slate roof with slightly advanced eaves and slate hung verges; rectangular stone stack with capping at R (E) gable and external square stack to L. The principal elevation faces the road and river valley to S, with central boarded door and flanking 2-light timber casement windows. The wing to L probably replaces an earlier service wing and has smooth rendered elevations and modern timber casement windows.
The interior was not inspected at the time of the survey (June/July 2003).
Listed as a C19 farmhouse that retains traditional character and forms a group with the adjacent cottage orné at Bryn Doldwryd.
Other nearby listed buildings