This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9454 / 52°56'43"N
Longitude: -3.9887 / 3°59'19"W
OS Eastings: 266467
OS Northings: 340524
OS Grid: SH664405
Mapcode National: GBR 5W.LHJY
Mapcode Global: WH55N.P7T9
Entry Name: Lychgate to Church of St. Twrog
Listing Date: 25 February 2005
Last Amended: 25 February 2005
Source ID: 84008
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Set along the W side of Bull Street (A496) in the centre of the village of Maentwrog; located between Neuadd Llewelyn and Pen-y-Bryn.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Late C19 lychgate, contemporary with the adjacent Church for which it was built, and dated 1897 by a commemorative inscription above the entrance.
Late C19 gabled lychgate. Timber framed with Gelli Grin stone panelled infill Chamfered posts and Tudor arches to each entrance. The slate roof has feathered eaves and shaped bargeboards on shaped brackets.
The E entrance faces the road and has timber gates of alterate tall and short vertical rails. The head of the entrance bears an inscription which reads: In : commemoration : of : the : 60 : year : reign : of : Her : Majesty / VICTORIA : Queen : and : Empress : anno : dom : 1897 : There is clock at the gable apex on shaped brackets and with a pyramidal roof.
Late C19 lychgate, contemporary with the adjacent church for which it was built, and dated 1897 by a commemorative inscription above the entrance.
Listed as a well-detailed late C19 lychgate in an rts and Crafts gothic style that forms a group with the adjacent Church of St. Twrog for which it was built.
Other nearby listed buildings