History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pont Tafarn-helyg

A Grade II Listed Building in Maentwrog, Gwynedd

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9384 / 52°56'18"N

Longitude: -3.9549 / 3°57'17"W

OS Eastings: 268722

OS Northings: 339679

OS Grid: SH687396

Mapcode National: GBR 5X.LZS1

Mapcode Global: WH55P.6DZP

Entry Name: Pont Tafarn-helyg

Listing Date: 25 February 2005

Last Amended: 25 February 2005

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 84015

Building Class: Transport

Location: Spanning the Afon Tafarn-helyg and carrying the road that branches SW off the A487(T) into the village of Gellilydan.

County: Gwynedd

Community: Maentwrog

Community: Maentwrog

Locality: Gellilydan

Traditional County: Merionethshire

Find accommodation in
Ffestiniog

History

Probably mid C19 road bridge. Merioneth was the last of the Welsh counties to have turnpike roads and it was at a county meeting in Dolgellau in 1775 that it was resolved to convert the principal tracks of the county into turnpikes, in partnership with Caernarfonshire. By the end of the C18 most of the existing roads had been brought under the Trust under the Merioneth Turnpike Act of 1777, and the line of the modern road from Maentwrog to Dolgellau more or less follows the early turnpike and was certainly in place by the time of the Tithe Map of the parish of Trawsfynydd, 1849. The bridge across Afon Tafarn Helyg was probably contemporary with the main development of the village of Gellilydan in the mid C19.

Exterior

Probably mid C19 roadbridge built of coursed rubble masonry. Comprising a single segmental arch of stone voussoirs and pendant keystone flanked by raking buttresses and with rectangular flood drain to L (E). Dripcourse to a low parapet wall, raised and extended to E at later date; raking stone slab coping.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a little altered C19 road bridge that retains good original character.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Tafarn-helyg
    Set back below the SW side of the A487(T) by the junction with the road leading into the village of
  • II Former forge at Tafarn-helyg
    Set back below the SW side of the A487(T) by the junction with the road leading into the village of
  • II Former dairy at Tafarn Helyg
    Set back below the SW side of the A487(T) by the junction with the road leading into the village of
  • II Holy Cross Church
    Set back from the E side of the A487(T) to W of the village of Gellilydan.
  • II Pandy Bach
    Set alongside the W side of the A487(T) on the northern approach to the village of Gellilydan.
  • II Gellilydan Terrace
    Set at an angle to the SW side of the main road that runs NW through the village of Gellilydan.
  • II Gellilydan Terrace
    Set at an angle to the SW side of the main road that runs NW through the village of Gellilydan.
  • II 1 Gellilydan Terrace
    Set at an angle to the SW side of the main road that runs NW through the village of Gellilydan.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.