This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2923 / 52°17'32"N
Longitude: -3.4443 / 3°26'39"W
OS Eastings: 301593
OS Northings: 266996
OS Grid: SO015669
Mapcode National: GBR 9M.XLNH
Mapcode Global: VH696.8N03
Entry Name: Daverneithen, including attached farm ranges
Listing Date: 28 February 2005
Last Amended: 28 February 2005
Source ID: 84117
Location: Reached by a short farm road on the N side of the A44 approximately 2km WNW of Nantmel.
Traditional County: Radnorshire
Probably built in the C18 and shown on the 1840 Tithe map with a farm range at R angles on its L side. C19 alterations included new windows and addition of a further farm range to create a U-shaped plan enclosing the yard, which is shown on the 1889 Ordnance Survey.
A 2-storey 3-window house of rendered walls, renewed slate roof and gable stacks. The central entrance has an added gabled porch with half-glazed doors. It is flanked by segmental-headed 4-pane sash windows. Upper-storey windows are beneath the eaves, comprising 3-light iron-frame windows centre and L, and a 4-pane sash window to the R. Set back against the R gable end is a lower former farm building converted to a garage with steel door, with weatherboarded front, rubble stone gable end and slate roof.
The L gable end is pebble-dashed. To the L of the stack is a lean-to, with pebble-dashed stack against the rear outshut. A continuous rear outshut has replaced and enlarged windows. It has an added further outshut in the centre, and flat-pitched extension further L. Behind the shed attached to the house are 2 lean-to pigsties, with boarded doors, and walled pens with later concrete coping.
At R angles on the L side of the house is an early C19 barn and cow house of rubble stone with weatherboarded loft and slate roof. Facing the yard it has full-height double boarded barn doors to the R and 3 boarded doors to the cow house further L, where there are 2 shuttered loft openings, and another boarded door at the L end to the bull house. A hay store is at the end of the range. The rear, where the loft is corrugated iron, has an added central lean-to brick calf pen with boarded shutter to the manure-pitching hole and ventilation strip. To its L is a shuttered pitching hole and boarded doors to the barn. To the R of the lean-to is a boarded cow house door and shuttered pitching hoe to the bull house.
At R angles on the R side of the house is a later cow house for loose cattle and calves, and root store, partly weatherboarded on a brick sill, and rubble stone at the end, under a single slate roof. Facing the yard is a boarded door to the byng and cow house door to its R, immediately R of which is another boarded door to the root store. In the rubble stone section is a boarded door to a cow house and calf pen, with blue-brick jamb. The rear has a single manure-pitching hole.
Listed for its special architectural interest as a well-preserved farmstead retaining definite C19 character.
Other nearby listed buildings