This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3642 / 52°21'50"N
Longitude: -3.8149 / 3°48'53"W
OS Eastings: 276519
OS Northings: 275561
OS Grid: SN765755
Mapcode National: GBR 93.S5CY
Mapcode Global: VH4FP.TVL0
Entry Name: The Jubilee Arch
Listing Date: 16 March 2005
Last Amended: 16 March 2005
Source ID: 84267
Building Class: Commemorative
Location: Crossing the B4574 some 2.8km SE of Devil's Bridge.
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Gothic arch built over the old turnpike road to Devil's Bridge in 1809-10 for Thomas Johnes of Hafod to celebrate the golden jubilee of King George III in 1810. The idea came from a Gothic arch constructed over the London to Bath road at Park Place, Berkshire, and the design was copied by Johnes' friend George Cumberland in 1806. The builder Charles James of Llanddewi Brefi may have been involved as he is referred to as the 'inventor' of the 'romantic arch' at Hafod.
In the account of the laying of the foundation stone, the design was said to be by an 'eminent architect'. Johnes then held a dinner for over a hundred tenants at the Hafod Arms. The road was then the main road from Aberystwyth to London.
A C20 metal plaque states that arch was erected 1810 for jubilee of George III and restored 1964 by the Forestry Commission, Cardiganshire County Council, and Cardiganshire Antiquarian Society.
Arch, rubble stone, large scale with 'rustic' stonework of large blocks with joints recessed to give impression of dry-stone walling. Two broad tapering piers each side supporting a narrower segmental pointed arch of stone voussoirs with some infill of spandrels but voussoirs only at crown. Arch is twisted slightly.
Graded II* as a picturesque Gothic stone arch of considerable scale, a rarity in Wales, and as an important commission of Thomas Johnes of Hafod.
Other nearby listed buildings