This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4198 / 52°25'11"N
Longitude: -3.5791 / 3°34'44"W
OS Eastings: 292708
OS Northings: 281376
OS Grid: SN927813
Mapcode National: GBR 9F.NPFM
Mapcode Global: VH5C2.XF7T
Entry Name: Glanrhyd
Listing Date: 24 March 2005
Last Amended: 24 October 2005
Source ID: 84293
Location: Located on the N side of Marsh's Pool, and reached by a bridlepath off a lane which leads up the hillside from the NW side of the A470, to the W of Cwmbelan.
Locality: Marsh's Pool
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
A mid C19 lakeside cottage with adjacent farm range. The lake, cottage and barn are not shown on
the Llangurig Tithe map of 1846, but are shown on the Ordnance Survey of 1886. The property formed part of the Glynbrochan estate, purchased by Lewis Lewis in 1872. According to the 'History of the Parish of Llangurig', the artificial lake 'was constructed and stocked with fish by the late T.E. Marsh esq in the year 1852 and has been called by his name… it was a favourite resort of numerous pleasure parties in the summer time'. It seems likely that the cottage was built in this connection, perhaps as a retreat for angling parties, or for a keeper.
A 2-storey cottage comprising a single-window main range. Constructed of shaley rubble stone under a light red artificial slate roof, with dressed stone stack to the right end. Detail includes stone quoins, segmental heads of stone voussoirs to openings, and plain barge boards. The house faces south-west to the pool, and is surrounded on 3 sides by a veranda: to the rear is a single-storeyed gabled wing. Rustic-style veranda has light-red artificial slate roof supported on paired round timber posts, between which is low openwork fencing with diagonal struts. The front entrance is offset to the right, and has door with shuttered glazed upper panel. Window to left with boarded shutters. The upper storey
above the veranda, has a single 2-light plain-glazed wooden casement window, offset to the left. North-west elevation has ground floor window with shutters; further window with shutters in the same elevation of the rear wing, which has sky-light to rear-roof pitch.
Interior not seen at resurvey.
Listed as a small cottage retaining C19 character and detail, and for its social historical interest associated with rural recreation. Group value with the barn.