This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.4064 / 52°24'23"N
Longitude: -3.6064 / 3°36'22"W
OS Eastings: 290819
OS Northings: 279927
OS Grid: SN908799
Mapcode National: GBR 9D.PGQL
Mapcode Global: VH5C2.FST3
Entry Name: Lychgate at Church of St Curig
Listing Date: 24 March 2005
Last Amended: 24 March 2005
Source ID: 84296
Location: On the S side of the A44 and forming the main entrance to the church.
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Lychgate dated 1740, some of the external detail C19.
Gabled lychgate constructed of random stone under a slate roof. Entrances to N and S, the shallow arched wooden tie beams with depressed ogee heads. C19 vertical boarding to gables, with decorative barge boards with wave moulding to N side and zig-zag moulding to S side.
Two-bay roof, the central truss also with a depressed ogee-arched tie-beam, supported on corbels. Raked struts above tie-beam; diagonal wind-braces above purlins, all the timbers pegged. On the N side of the central tie-beam is a carved inscription reading 'GD (W) SH 1740 DG (C) IO'. The former initials refer to the churchwardens, George David and Solomon Hamer, the latter initials possibly to the carpenters. A pair of double wooden gates are fixed beneath, with mid-rail and open panels with trefoiled heads.
Listed as an unusually well-detailed C18 lychgate, and for group value with the Church of St Curig and other structures in the village.
Other nearby listed buildings