This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.989 / 51°59'20"N
Longitude: -3.3385 / 3°20'18"W
OS Eastings: 308181
OS Northings: 233130
OS Grid: SO081331
Mapcode National: GBR YR.JVXV
Mapcode Global: VH6BT.28XK
Entry Name: Church of Saint Mary
Listing Date: 31 March 2005
Last Amended: 31 March 2005
Source ID: 84316
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated on the N side of the road junction in the centre of Talachddu.
Community: Felin-fach (Felin-fâch)
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Anglican parish church, C15, possibly of earlier origins, much restored 1862 by Thomas Nicholson of Hereford. Small church with nave and chancel, S porch and timber W bell turret. Notable late medieval roofs, also S porch roof and S door. Thomas Jones in 1800 noted that part of a rood loft had been converted to a gallery with marble memorial on the front to Jenkin Lewis died 1738. Sir Stephen Glynne in 1861 noted a wooden cage for the bell at the W end, late square-headed windows, whitewashed walls and an interior choked with pews and pulpit.
Church, squared rubble stone with concrete tiled roofs. Nave, chancel, S porch and big square wooden bell turret with bell-cast pyramid roof, concrete-tiled. W end has C19 stonework with quoins, grey stone pointed 2-light window with cusped lights and hoodmould. Timber belfry has 4 louvred panels with blank cusped heads each side and boarding below. Medieval S porch with restored chamfered medieval pointed arch and bar stops to red sandstone surround. Within are four c1500 arch-braced roof trusses moulded with two rolls and a fillet, with three intermediate plain trusses. Stone seats. Late medieval four-centred red sandstone S door, chamfered with diagonal stops. Double C19 doors with wrought iron hinges. To right, a restored c1500 2-light square-headed window with four-centred heads to lights and spandrel panels. Lower chancel has one S C19 cusped lancet to right of centre. E end has mostly C19 stonework and C19 three-light with octofoil in head and pointed hoodmould. Lean-to C19 N vestry has E cusped lancet. Nave N has C19 stonework and two C19 flat-headed 2-light windows, the left one with medieval sill.
Fine medieval panelled ceiling with multiple roll-moulds to ribs, 6 x 6 panels original, added double-length panels at W end. Stone flagged floor with two grave slabs at W dated 1706 and 1730. Big C19 chamfered and stopped pine posts supporting belfry with arched braces and cusped spandrels. Chamfered pointed 1864 chancel arch, grey stone, inner order on column shafts octagonal caps and carved leaf corbels, with hoodmould and head stops. Two steps to chancel. C15 chancel roof in 6x4 panels, similar to nave. C19 tiled chancel floor, one step to sanctuary. C19 pointed N door to vestry.
Fittings: Late C13 font, unusual, shallow bowl of one piece with trefoil section top of shaft, narrower trefoiled short shaft and square chamfered base. C19 pitch-pine pews. C19 timber pulpit with Gothic panels on grey stone octagonal shaft. C19 chancel stalls with pierced tracery to back and fleur-de-lys bench ends. Wrought iron altar rails with twisted standards and scrolls.
Stained glass: E window c1865 of patterned glass with centre panel of Christ with chalice. Lamb of God in octofoil head. Chancel S single-light 1886 Good Shepherd, to Rev. C. Griffith.
Memorials: N wall Anne Vaughan died 1825 and Jane Price died 1829, by Hughes, with twisted shafts and draped urn; Howell Powell of Maesyberllan died 1797, shield plaque; Jenkin Lewis died 1738 and Mary Lewis died 1757, well-lettered marble plaque probably from larger memorial. S wall: Margaret wife of Rev. W. Williams late of Carburthy died 1808, rustic plaque with two ovals; Thomas Williams of Carbuthy died 1788, incised painted plaque by D. Hughes; Elizabeth, daughter of Rev. W. Williams, died 1805, by Games; Rev Walter Williams late of Carburthy, died 1766, with border of flowers, by T. Games. Chancel S neo-Grec marble plaque to Elizabeth Griffith died 1837, by H. Wood of Bristol. Chancel N brass plaque to Rev Charles Griffith of Glyn Celyn died 1886; white and grey marble plaque with sunburst to Rev. Morgan Price, died 1833, by Thomas of Brecon.
Included as a restored medieval church retaining notable panelled barrel ceilings.
Other nearby listed buildings