A Grade II Listed Building in Dyffryn Ardudwy, Gwynedd
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building.
In some locations, Street View may not
give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8053 / 52°48'18"N
Longitude: -4.1019 / 4°6'6"W
OS Eastings: 258406
OS Northings: 325149
OS Grid: SH584251
Mapcode National: GBR 5R.W61V
Mapcode Global: WH565.YRW9
Entry Name: Milestone
Listing Date: 13 April 2005
Last Amended: 13 April 2005
Source ID: 84359
Building Class: Transport
Location: Set along the E side of the A496 leading N out of Dyffryn Ardudwy towards Llanbedr.
Community: Dyffryn Ardudwy
Community: Dyffryn Ardudwy
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Mid C18 milestone, one of 7 along the road between Barmouth and Harlech. This series of stones predate the resolution to convert the principal tracks of the county into turnpikes at a county meeting in Dolgellau in 1775, and it is thought that this stretch of road was constructed and maintained by the landlords of the estates through which it passed.
Broad, irregularly shaped milestone bearing the inscription: I / HARLECH / IV / M / 1765.
Reasons for Listing
Listed as a good mid C18 dated milestone.
Other nearby listed buildings
Brewhouse at Dolgau
Set back, along a private driveway, from the W side of the A496 c.1km N of Coed Ystumgwern. The brewhouse lies to ENE of the house.
Set back, along a private driveway, from the W side of the A496 c.1km N of Coed Ystumgwern.
Rootclamp at Dolgau
Set back, along a private driveway, from the W side of the A496 c.1km N of Coed Ystumgwern. The rootclamp lies to ESE of the house.
Gate piers, gates and boundary walls at Taltreuddyn-Fawr
The gate and gate piers are at the entrance to Taltreuddyn-Fawr, with walls running west and north from them, defining the perimeter of the informal garden which surrounds the house to the west and so
Garden walls with lookout at Taltreuddyn-Fawr
The garden lies to the west of the house. The walls separate the garden from agricultural land to the north and west, and divide the formal garden to the north of the house from the more informal orch
On the north side of a lane which runs west from the A496, some 2.5km north of Dyffryn Ardudwy.
Lofted stable or cowhouse and cartshed range at Taltreuddyn-Fawr
Forms the eastern range of the farmyard which lies immediately north of the house at Taltreuddyn-Fawr.
Haybarn range at Taltreuddyn-Fawr
Forms the western range of the farmyard which lies immediately north of the house at Taltreuddyn-Fawr.