This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7264 / 51°43'35"N
Longitude: -4.8226 / 4°49'21"W
OS Eastings: 205153
OS Northings: 206846
OS Grid: SN051068
Mapcode National: GBR GB.Q7XD
Mapcode Global: VH2PB.CV9X
Entry Name: The Cobblers Shop
Listing Date: 11 May 2005
Last Amended: 11 May 2005
Source ID: 84387
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On the lane leading from Cresswell Quay to Cresselly, at edge of the settlement, immediately in front of Back Cottages. Built with its back to the road on a steeply sloping site, necessitating an exce
Locality: Cresswell Quay
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Shown on the 1846 Tithe Map, and lived in by the Phillips family, who also occupied No 2 Back Cottages. Later, it doubled up as a cobblers shop. Census returns show that the occupant between 1841 and 1861 was Phoebe Phillips, in 1871, Thomas Phillips, and in 1881, John Phillips. The building is no longer occupied, and is used as a store for No 2 Back Cottages.
Single storeyed 2-unit cottage facing away from the lane. Rubble, limewashed to main elevation, with corrugated sheet roof replacing slate; stone gable-end stacks. The siting of the cottage to face away from the road necessitated the construction of a high rear wall, which is uncovered rubble without openings. Buttress against lower gable end. Main elevation has off-centre doorway, with boarded door; 9-pane sash window to its right, taller fixed light 6-pane window to the left. All openings have timber lintels. Small lean-to against right-hand gable end.
The building retains much of its original layout as a croglofft cottage, with rough stud and stone partition and loft over the left-hand section, with rough joists and boards. 3 pegged trusses. Fireplace in left-hand room with small 4-pane wash window alongside it, the right-hand fireplace blocked and an opening formed in the gable to connect with the lean-to.
Listed as a well-preserved example of a croglofft cottage retaining good vernacular character, including the original internal layout. Forms part of a group with 1 and 2 Back Cottages.
Other nearby listed buildings