This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1122 / 52°6'44"N
Longitude: -4.5235 / 4°31'24"W
OS Eastings: 227298
OS Northings: 248994
OS Grid: SN272489
Mapcode National: GBR D5.92M2
Mapcode Global: VH2MR.J5YL
Entry Name: Rhyd Isaf
Listing Date: 19 May 2005
Last Amended: 19 May 2005
Source ID: 84406
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Just off the N side of the A487, alongside a lane leaving the main road at an angle, on the edge of a small cluster of houses, some 1km east of the main settlement of Blaenporth.
Community: Aberporth (Aber-porth)
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Mid nineteenth century, a cottage built on land which belonged to the farm of Cwmporthman in 1837. Shown on the first edition O.S map of 1889, by which time Rhyd was recorded as a place-name, with other cottages built along the roadside, and on the lane beyond beyond Rhyd Isaf. A small disused quarry shown on this map further down the lane may even have been the source of stone for these buildings, whilst the development of larger quarries in the neighbourhood may have provided the stimulus for this expansion of settlement. Rhyd Isaf belongs to a post-medieval tradition of building, notwithstanding its mid C19 date.
A long, low building, whitewashed rubble stone with slate roof; brick end stacks, also whitewashed. There is a small outbuilding in-line with the dwelling, which is partly made from clom, and has a corrugated iron roof. House has façade offset to the right, suggesting that the left-hand room was the principal living room, with a smaller heated parlour to the right of the doorway. Façade detail not quite symmetrical, with near-centre doorway with part-glazed door, and flanking 2-pane sash windows to ground floor, aligned with which are very small single pane windows immediately beneath the eaves. Small in-line outbuilding to the right is partly rough rubble, but with clom in the gable end. Single boarded doorway to the front. Smaller (and later) lean-to against the left-hand gable end. House has partial outshut to rear, with heavily grouted slate roof.
Not inspected, but the arrangement of the façade suggests a traditional plan of hall/kitchen at left, and small parlour to right of entrance.
Listed as an exceptionally well-preserved traditional dwelling, with strong regional character in its plan form, and in the details of its construction.
Other nearby listed buildings