History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Outbuilding to SW of Y Rheithordy

A Grade II Listed Building in Cadfarch, Powys

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.591 / 52°35'27"N

Longitude: -3.8171 / 3°49'1"W

OS Eastings: 277005

OS Northings: 300798

OS Grid: SH770007

Mapcode National: GBR 93.9YMS

Mapcode Global: WH68M.B4LH

Entry Name: Outbuilding to SW of Y Rheithordy

Listing Date: 2 July 1962

Last Amended: 27 May 2005

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 84428

Location: Located to the SW of Y Rheithordy.

County: Powys

Community: Cadfarch

Community: Cadfarch

Locality: Penegoes

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Machynlleth

History

Probably early-C19; now a garage but possibly a coach-house originally. There was formerly an attached building which was demolished in the 2nd half of the C20. It included accommodation, but may have been the original stables.

Penegoes Rectory is the site of the birthplace of Richard Wilson (1713-82), the foremost landscape painter of Wales in the C18. His father, John Wilson of Trefeglwys, was Rector of Penegoes, but Richard, the 3rd son, spent much of his youth at Leeswood Hall in Mold, the family home of his mother, Alice Wynne. It was his grandfather, Sir George Wynne, who helped him train as a portrait painter in London. Wilson gradually turned to landscape painting, spending his foremost years in Rome, returning to London in 1757 where he was a founder member of the Royal Academy, and its librarian from 1776. He retired to Mold, where he later died.

Exterior

Outbuilding of shaley rubble stone under a renewed slate roof. It has 2 pairs of full-height boarded doors leading to garages. The R-hand gable is boarded and has a loading door. The L-hand gable end has brick quoins (where the attached building was taken down) and a rendered gable. The rear has a single ventilation slit on the L side.

Interior

The 3-bay roof has tie beams with raking struts.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for group value with Y Rheithordy.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Y Rheithordy
    Located opposite the church, the driveway reached off a lane leading S from the main road. Set in grounds, with outbuildings to the SW and E.
  • II Church of St Cadfarch
    Located towards the W end of the village, set back from the N side of the main road.
  • II Felin Crewi
    Located approx. 0.35km WSW of the centre of Penegoes, on the E side of a minor lane running S from A489; the mill pond on E side is fed from the Afon Crewi.
  • II Plas Dolguog
    Located in the Dovey valley, at the end of a lane which runs N from the main road, approx. 1.5km W of Penegoes.
  • II Rhiwfelen
    Located approx. 1.5km SE of Penegoes, set down from the S side of a minor road, and above the Afon Crewi.
  • II Milestone W of Hendreseifion
    Located on the N side of the road in front of the bank, within a wooded area.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.