This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6658 / 52°39'56"N
Longitude: -4.0837 / 4°5'1"W
OS Eastings: 259182
OS Northings: 309606
OS Grid: SH591096
Mapcode National: GBR 8R.5553
Mapcode Global: WH56Z.78M4
Entry Name: The Garthangharad public house
Listing Date: 7 June 2005
Last Amended: 7 June 2005
Source ID: 84486
Location: Prominently sited in the centre of the village at the junction with the A493 main road through the village.
Community: Llangelynin (Llangelynnin)
Built-Up Area: Llwyngwril
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Originally 2 premises, with tablets dated 1840 and 1736, although they appear to have been re-set in the second half of the C19 when both premises were remodelled and were given gabled upper windows characteristic of the period. The larger L-hand premises is dated 1840 and is largely of that date. It was a public house in 1889 and 1901. The R-hand premises was probably remodelled in 1840, in spite of its 1736 date, and was probably a house until it was incorporated into the public house in the C20.
A 2-storey public house of whitened rubble stone, slate roof and stone stacks to the L end and R of centre. The building is in 2 units of 3 and 2 windows respectively, of which the L-hand was the original public house. The L-hand unit has a central half-glazed door. The R-hand unit has a similar door on the L side, in line with the stack. Windows are 4-pane horned sashes. In the lower storey they are under lintels, except for a segmental-brick head to the R-hand. In the upper storey they are under gables with finials. Above the central window of the L-hand unit is a re-painted tablet inscribed 'EO 1840'. Above the L-hand window in the R-hand unit is a re-painted tablet inscribed 'EO 1736'.
The rear has, on the R side, a 2-storey projection of whitened brick. On the L side is a 2-storey roughcast range added in the 1930s.
Listed for its special architectural interest as a prominently-sited public house retaining definite C19 character.
Other nearby listed buildings