This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2623 / 53°15'44"N
Longitude: -4.0933 / 4°5'35"W
OS Eastings: 260471
OS Northings: 375967
OS Grid: SH604759
Mapcode National: GBR JN82.FQL
Mapcode Global: WH542.382D
Entry Name: ,3 Alma Street,Beaumaris,Beaumaris,
Listing Date: 20 February 1978
Last Amended: 13 July 2005
Source ID: 84715
Location: In a terrace at the W end of The Green.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Community: Beaumaris (Biwmares)
Built-Up Area: Beaumaris
Traditional County: Anglesey
Alma Street, Bulkeley Terrace and Raglan Street constitute a major residential development built along the sea front from the mid 1850s. The development was initiated by the Baron Hill estate, who owned most of the small dwellings shown in the vicinity on the 1829 town plan, and who originally let the new houses on 80-year leases. The houses exploited the potential of a prime site between the Bulkeley Hotel to the E and public baths to the W. They were a major element in the mid C19 transformation of Beaumaris into a middle-class seaside resort and of its strong Georgian architectural character.
Alma Street was probably built soon after 1854 and the Crimean war battle from which it derives its name. The 1861 town plan shows it to have been the earliest of the terraces to be completed.
Belongs to a group of 1-4 Alma Street.
A terrace of 4 late-Georgian style 3-storey houses, of scribed roughcast (with renewed render to No 1) on a painted freestone plinth, hipped slate roof and roughcast stacks. Nos 1-3 are 2-bay houses. They have doors under round-headed overlights to the R side, of which No 1 retains its original door with round-headed panels, No 2 has a replacement marine-style door and No 3 has an early C20 half-glazed panel door. On the L side are 12-pane hornless sashes. Above are 2-light oriel windows to first-floor sitting rooms, centrally placed to No 1 but offset to the L side in Nos 2 and 3. In the upper storey are 9-pane hornless sashes. Basement windows are in the L-hand bay under 4-centred arches. No 1 has a replacement window and Nos 2 and 3 have small-pane windows.
The 2-bay R end wall, facing Castle Street, has blind windows except for a 12-pane hornless sash to the R in the middle storey and shorter 12-pane hornless sash window above it. Set back further R is a 2-storey extension in similar style, with half-glazed door and small-pane sash windows.
No 4 is larger, a 3-bay house with wider advanced L-hand bay. It has a central panel door and round-headed overlight. Outer bays have 12-pane hornless sash windows in the lower and middle storeys. In the upper storey is a 9-pane sash window to the R and blocked L-hand window with painted glazing bars. Basement windows to the L, and replacing the coal-hole to the R, have modern glazing. In the 2-bay L end wall, facing the sea, is an added conservatory and replacement windows.
The rear of No.3 has windows replaced in original openings.
The entrance hall has a full-height open-well stair with fret-cut balusters and square newels. Main rooms have panelled doors. The parlour in the lower storey has a polished slate fireplace surround in simple classical style.
Nos 1-4 Alma Street are listed for their special architectural interest as a mid C19 terrace of definite quality and character, part of a larger development including Bulkeley Terrace and Raglan Street that makes an important contribution to the historical integrity and architectural character of Beaumaris sea front.
Other nearby listed buildings