This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2634 / 53°15'48"N
Longitude: -4.09 / 4°5'23"W
OS Eastings: 260697
OS Northings: 376078
OS Grid: SH606760
Mapcode National: GBR JN82.H7V
Mapcode Global: WH542.47NL
Entry Name: Victoria Terrace
Listing Date: 23 September 1950
Last Amended: 13 July 2005
Source ID: 84747
Location: Victoria Terrace is the most prominent building facing The Green. No 7 is entered from The Green.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Community: Beaumaris (Biwmares)
Built-Up Area: Beaumaris
Traditional County: Anglesey
Built by Joseph Hansom and Edward Welch, architects of York, and completed in 1833, for the corporation of Beaumaris. The terrace was the centrepiece of a plan to regenerate the declining port of Beaumaris by creating a fashionable resort. The terrace incorporated 10 houses let to middle class professionals and seasonal visitors. The plans of the double-depth houses differed little. Nos 1-4 and 7-10 had stair halls with open-well stairs. Nos 5 and 6, in the centre of the terrace, were slightly grander internally, having circular vestibules and a wider stair hall.
The houses were sold by the Corporation in 1937 and refurbishment was undertaken by Colwyn Foulkes, architect of Colwyn Bay. The main contractor was Ashworth Brothers of Rhos-on-Sea. Foulkes converted each house, with the exception of No 1, into 2 apartments, of which the lower incorporated the original basement and ground storeys, while the upper incorporated middle, upper and attic storeys and retained the original stairs. New stairs were built in the lower apartments. The upper apartments were entered from the rear, which was remodelled to include a balcony at first-floor level. Some of the front windows were replaced by steel-framed French doors, but were restored as sash windows in 2004. Steel-framed windows were also inserted in the rear elevation. Two dormers, on Nos 9 and 10, were also removed at this time and skylights have been inserted into the front and rear elevations.
Victoria Terrace is listed grade I as an outstanding and well-preserved late-Georgian terrace of national importance, and for its vital contribution to the historical integrity of Beaumaris sea front.
Other nearby listed buildings